Welcome to part one of a 3-part series on ‘Toxins Lurking In Your Home’. This month we will be pinpointing common skin & hygiene products that contain known toxins. These toxins can lead to hormonal imbalances and disruption as well as stress on specific organs. It’s time to
search through your bathroom and find out what products are carrying these nasty toxins.
1. Toothpaste, Mouthwash, & Dental Floss: Toothpaste contains toxins that are known carcinogens, known to lower IQ in children, disrupt hormones, & interfere with the endocrine system. Mouthwash depletes good bacteria in the body, which can then weaken the immune system. Some brands of dental floss have replaced natural wax with a chemical that has been known to effect hormones and weaken the immune system.
Toxins to Look For: fluoride, propylene glycol, triclosan, polyethylene, chlorhexidine, perfluorinated polymer (PFC).
Alternatives: Look for toothpastes that contain cleansing herbs such as neem, cinnamon, wintergreen & mint. For a mouthwash alternative, look for ingredients such as water, glycerin from vegetables, and natural essential oils. For dental floss, look for a brand that contains natural wax.
2. Soap & Body Wash: Some soaps & body washes contain chemicals that are known carcinogens, effecting the liver, stomach, and pancreas. They have also been known to damage genes. They can also make it more difficult for the skin to hold moisture.
Toxins to Look For: benzyl acetate, sodium laureth sulfate (SLS)
Alternatives: Liquid or Bar Castile Soaps are a great alternative for both soap & body wash. Making your own foaming hand soap is another easy option.
3. Shampoo & Conditioner: Shampoos & conditioner can contain certain chemicals & preservatives that are known carcinogens.
Toxins to Look For: parabens, synthetic fragrances, sulfates, cocamide DEA
Alternatives: Opting for an organic shampoo or conditioner is a great alternative. Liquid Castile Soap also works well as a shampoo.
4. Lotion: Toxins found in certain lotions have are known carcinogens.
Toxins to Look For: nitrosamines (diethanolamide (DEA), monoethanolamides (MEA), triethanolamides (TEA), monoisopropanolamides (MIPA), Ethoxylated alkylomides (PEG))
Alternatives: Lotions that contain coconut oil, jojoba oil, or shea butter are great options. Or you can simply use one of these alternatives as is.
5. Deodorant: Toxicity found in commercial deodorants have been known to settle in breast tissue. The toxins also clog pores, which keeps the body from sweating as it should. Sweating is a natural way for the body to detox.
Toxins to Look For: aluminum
Alternatives: Avoid all deodorants that contain aluminum. Making your own deodorant with coconut oil, baking soda, & essential oils can be fun & easy.
6. Feminine Hygiene Products: Certain brands of pads & tampons can cause reproductive issues, endocrine & hormone disruption, and contain known carcinogens.
Toxins to Look For: chlorine, dioxins, BPA (plastic), phthalates (plastic), synthetic fibers, synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, odor neutralizers, methyldibromo glutironitrile
*Note: Pads & tampons can be sold without the ingredients being fully disclosed.
Alternatives: Chose a brand that is completely organic or opt for reusable clothe pads.
7. Hand Sanitizer: Hand sanitizer is used to kill bacteria, this includes good bacteria. They can wreak havoc on the body much like soaps, except instead of washing some of the toxins off with water, the skin completely absorbs them.
Toxins to Look For: triclosan, triclocarbon, synthetic fragrances
Alternatives: White vinegar in a spray bottle works great. Or you can create your own using aloe vera gel and essential oils.
8. Sunscreen: Toxins found in sunscreen will absorb into the skin & can enter the tissue. They have also been known to disrupt hormones.
Toxins to Look For: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalata, octinoxate, zinc oxide & titanium dioxide that is altered into a nanoparticle form
Alternatives: Finding a natural sunscreen that is mineral based and a non-nanoparticle version of zinc oxide is a great option.
The best way to start eliminating toxins from your life is one step at a time. Choose one item from the list above that you have in your home containing toxins and switch it out with a much healthier alternative. Next week, choose another item. By eliminating the toxins we have control over, we can prevent these toxins from entering our bodies.